Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Brexit

I suppose it's no surprise being an expat that I didn't want the UK to leave the European Union. Even though I'm not officially European. I had no vote, no voice. The Chief did and voted to stay in.

It's over now and Leave won. I felt shock but now I feel nothing, though the repercussions of this vote will possibly hit our family quite hard. The Chief and my children are British, so we are expats in Europe. Where does this leave us?

I feel nothing now because the Scottish Referendum wrung all hope out of me. This referendum feels like a rehash. Everyone's surprised that people believed the media's and politicians' lies, they want a revote, they blame the other side for being ignorant and isolationist, are angry, sad, lost, fighting with family and friends who voted on the other side. None of this surprises me now.

We don't really know what's going to happen over the next few months. Politicians are resigning, back-sliding, demanding change and more time. There will be negotiating, new treaties, but it will all take time. Healing will take time.

Some people are turning to Scotland for a life raft, but its future is as unclear as the rest. A 3rd Referendum is being suggested (yes, everyone forgets the first 1979 referendum) and I hope it goes through but I have lost any hope that it automatically means that Scotland will get independence and that they will be able to negotiate a way back into the EU and that they'll be able to do it anytime soon.

My family will be affected if the UK leaves. We're going into survival mode, trying to figure out what can we do now to protect our way of life. I would like to fight, join my friends in the UK with positive political and community action, but I can't. I'm not there, I have no voice and I have lost all my fight.

We will batten the hatches and ride out the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...