Monday, December 22, 2014

Happy Holidays 2014

As per my holiday tradition I have avoided sending cards this year to all but a select few, mainly those who do not have internet access. Instead I chose to send a Clan Year in Review via multiple electronic media. I also have donated the money I would spend on cards and postage to a charity of my choice.

2014 has been a year of ups and downs, more than usual it seems. It was a first full year in our new home, our first full year with Pudding. It was a year we dreamed of Scottish Independence, only to realise it will remain a dream for a while longer. We have lost a good friend and worried about the health of others. And we have watched the Weans blossoming and mastering way too many skills, keeping us on our toes and sometimes at the end of our tethers. 



Pudding has learned to roll, eat, crawl and walk. She's a wee shining light with the cheeky streak and a stubborn streak, a true Clanswoman. She babbles constantly, but currently everything seems to be a variation of Ba, Neh and Da, except 'kolikot' which she has been saying over and over lately. It means 'coins' in Finnish and was one of the first words I picked up (and never used again), but I don't think she knows that. She loves songs and demands song from 'In the Night Garden' ALL DAY LONG, to the point where I must sound like a meany in public when I say 'No, no songs'. She's getting some mean dance moves as well. 


She loves playing with Bumpshie and Foo, they crawl around and play doggie and she gets to walk them. You ask her what a doggie says and she pants. She gives everyone kisses before bed and entertains the staff at the nursery as she runs away from me every 2 seconds while I'm trying to wrangle the older two. 

Bumpshie has found a nursery that works for her. While her last nursery said she was fine after I left, she still cried every day last year. This autumn term at her new nursery she had a few teary days, but since they she has been keen to go. They sing songs constantly it seems and she's learning Finnish through them, but still pretty much refuses to speak it. She sang, smiled and did the actions for the songs at her Christmas show. I was so proud as she wouldn't even go up with her class for the Spring show at her last nursery.


Foo has had a brilliant year. Night boots and a new physio have meant his walking has improved so much which has helped his balance. We've had great support through his various therapists and doctors. He has started at the kindergarten year (Esikoulu) at the kids' new nursery and though I had my worries he has totally rocked the transition. He has a lovely guy who assists him and the other staff have worked really hard to make sure he is happy and I understand what's going on. We'll have our hands full in the New Year figuring out what our next steps will be, but I'll save that for another post.

Mouse is 8 years old now and growing so fast. He loves to read and you often have to pry the book out of his hands. He started playing guitar and is doing amazingly well, already surpassing my ability to read music and keep up with him. Though getting him to practice is always a bit of a struggle. He is so helpful with the kids and I know I can trust him with so many things, though he still is my sensitive boy most of the time.
We've travelled a bit this year after staying put the last two years. Italy in July and Glasgow in September. The kids are becoming pretty seasoned travellers now so both went pretty smoothly. It was lovely to have a real family break in Italy, just chilling with no agenda or demands. And our return to Glasgow after almost a 2 year break was heartening, a reminder of what we miss and love about our home, but also so sad because we can't be there now. 

We have no idea what 2015 holds for us. A good chance of growth, change, excitement and disappointment. We'll take it all as it comes and deal with it the best we can as a family. 


Best wishes to you and your family for the holiday season of 2014 and for the unknown that is 2015. I hope it brings health, happiness, dreams and wishes. 

Love from the Chief, myself and the Weans. Seasons greetings from the Clan in Finland. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...