Thursday, November 22, 2012

The House the Clan Bodged

Sorry, things have been a bit quiet. Feeling a bit meh in general. Things are ticking along steadily, so can't complain.

Have you ever seen those internet memes which have one picture of a beautiful cake or handicraft and then the next picture is an absolute disaster of an attempt with the words 'Nailed It'? They're funny because not all of us can be great at cake decorating or arts and crafts and it's good to admit that and good that we try these things anyway. And sometimes things fail spectacularly. 

I'm always trying new stuff whether it be crocheting a cardi for Bump which went wrong somewhere and is unwearable or making new dishes that no one will eat. I'm also what the Brits call a Bodger. My good friend Wiktionary says it's a person who works in a rough and ready, slipshod manner. I do my best, maybe cut a few corners when things get difficult, or don't always have the best skills or tools for the job and have to improvise. But I usually always enjoy what I'm doing. If I'm not, I stop. 

I was worried for a while that some of the Weans would take after the Chief who is a bit of a perfectionist. Ok, a very impatient perfectionist which is sort of deadly in itself, but he likes things done right and just so. How we manage to do anything together is beyond me, but we no longer do DIY together, let's put it that way. 

But after years of careful tutelage even my pickiest Wean now seems happy to bodge his way through an activity where there's fun to be had. 

I decided for some mad reason to try to make a gingerbread house this week. I thought we'd just do a little one for practice, to see if my ideas of how it should go would work. Then we could maybe try a bigger one for Christmas. 

I didn't make my own gingerbread, just used the ready to roll ones you can get here. Working with 1 or all of the Weans is complicated enough without making extra work for myself. I also didn't bother to get a template for the house. Fail one: if I was to attempt this again I would definitely download some blueprints or hire an architect or something. 

So, I, who has no visual accuracy when it comes to judging distance or length, decided to cut the shapes by eye. LOL. They looked good on the cooking sheet, but I didn't take into account shrinkage or warping by the heat and cooling. 

I found a recipe for the frosting, but I just looked at the ingredients. If I had followed with the measurements my frosting glue might have been a better consistency. 


So you can see two of my problems here. Glue too liquid and house parts not matching up. But I eventually got it glued together, even though there was a large gap where the two roof pieces should meet. 

But who cares, let the fun of decorating commence. 






Another point to remember, never let Foo 'sprinkle' on the sprinkles. 






So we bodged and had fun and who cares what the house looks like. Now I just have a fight on my hands to keep them from eating the house in one go. I had two of them picking off marshmallows this morning after breakfast. 

Oh, in case you wondered, we won't be making another for Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...