Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Winter Blues Rant

Sorry, I haven't written much. As you might have guessed I have the winter blues. Just too much uncertainty and stress going on in the Clan household. Problems with the house in Scotland, the Chief's interviews and up and down news from his employer re his current postion, Foo's unpredictable moods, problems at nursery and visits to the Occupational Therapist and the mountain of snow that has descended since the new year have just piled up on me. I'm just not coping with it well. 

Ok, first of all, indulge me in a wee rant about the snow. Have I mentioned how much I hate it? I knew I did last year, I knew I would this year. I cringed, waiting for it all autumn and early winter, I smiled as the rain drizzled and drenched us all the way through December, but I knew it wouldn't last. 

And now it's here I remember why I hate it so much. Even though Finland is used to lots of snow and have developed excellent ways for dealing with it and surviving it, it is still impossible to get two or even three children through this much snow with a smile on your face. I've tried the buggy, I've tried the sledge, I've tried to get Foo to walk. There is no easy way. 

It's relatively warm, between 0 and -5C, so the snow on the pavements has a sand-like quality to it, not sloshy, but not powdery. It clings to the buggy wheels, it pulls them down into it. And if Foo is tired or awkward and on the buggy board it's like pulling a Foo-shaped anchor behind the buggy that I'm trying to push up hill and dale.

I've tried the sledge, in theory, it should be easier. But Bumpshie didn't like it, she cried all the way to pick up Mouse from nursery. And I had to wrangle 2 children, a sledge and a bag on the bus. Foo can't really get on the bus himself. Then I had to do the whole thing back home with 3 kids, though Mouse helped a lot with the sledge and watching Bump while I got Foo on. 

I tried it again today just going to the Leikkipuisto to get Foo and she enjoyed it more on her own: laying on her sheepskin on her tummy, saying 'Whee' whenever we went over bumps. But on the way back with Foo, she just lay on him like a lump and he doesn't have the strength to hold her up, so he ends up pushed over backwards as well. I still end up aching from hauling 20kg up our big hill. And for some reason we now live on the only road in Herttoniemi that doesn't get ploughed. 

So I've been hiding a bit from the world since the snow came. Bad me. I know I should be out there playing in it, skiiing, skating, sledging, but I hate it. Putting enough layers on the Weans to keep them warm, but then we're all melting by the time we get out and then no one wants to go out and do anything anyway. 

Enough belly-aching. Anyway here's some photos of the snow. 





 


Mouse has got the right idea. It's time to take out the funny Finnish shovel and start digging myself out of this slump, but I'm not there yet.

So news on whether we're staying or go in Finland. No news. The Chief had an interview for a job in Edinburgh, didn't get it. He's had an interview for a permanent job with the company he's currently working for, but we won't know if he's made the first cut until some time in February. There's rumblings that they might extend his project and he could apply for another contract, but the company is treacle-slow wading through EU regulations and too many managers, so I'm not holding my breath and, to be honest, I'm not sure if I can handle another year of being 'temporary', uncertain whether we're staying, how much effort we should put into staying here. Our first contract was for 11 months, it'll be 23 by the time this extension is over. If we had known we were going to be here this long we'd maybe have done some things differently, but that horse has bolted, so no point in thinking about it. 

We have our house in Scotland, our lease running up here shortly, 2 children in need of education and no idea of what to do about any of them. I'm applying to several schools here, will be contacting ones in Scotland shortly, just trying to cover our bases. I've put the word out that we may be in the market for a new flat here. Meanwhile, my head is slowly imploding. I'm sure it'll all come good in the end, but I'm not good at A) waiting and B) leaving things that are important to me, up to others. 

I'll keep you informed when I can. 

I've got a heap of news about Foo as well, but am tired from this batch of ranting, so I'll come back to that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...